How to locate a volunteer site
For the Service Learning Field Experience (SLFE) you will be asked to volunteer a minimum of fifteen (15) hours of service. It is extremely important that you adhere to all scheduled deadlines and VKSU policies & procedures in order to successfully fulfill this requirement. If you fail to complete these steps, you will not successfully pass this portion of your EDUC 2120 course.
VSLS does not facilitate the background check requirement or the insurance coverage! If you have any questions, regarding these requirements, please contact the Clinical Experiences, Placements and Partnerships (CEPP) office by clicking here!
Important Deadlines for Summer 2017
Locate a placement site by Friday, June 9th.
All hours must be completed AND inputted in the VKSU system by Wednesday, July 12th.
Students must submit their official Volunteer Resume to their professor by Wednesday, July 19th.
How to register for a volunteer opportunity?
For starters, you will need to log into your VKSU account! If you do not have a VKSU account, please reference the first link under the Service Learning block - "How do I sign-up to volunteer?" Secondly, please visit the approved list below and click on the links to get more information regarding that volunteer opportunity.
Once you click on the link, you will see the following:
- Description of the volunteer assignment
- Agency Name
- When volunteers are needed (date or time)
- Agency requirement (age, time, etc.)
- Address to the location
To register for an event, or get more information regarding volunteering, please click on the 'Respond' button. This action will result in the following:
- An email will be sent to that organization indicating that you are interested in volunteering.
- You will also be allowed to ask any additional questions about that particular assignment that wasn’t noted in the volunteer description. You can complete this action by inputting your questions into the 'Notes' box.
- It’s important to remember, you’re not officially registered for a volunteer assignment until you have been contacted directly by the agency!
It is highly recommended that you respond to a minimum of three (3) agencies. If those agencies do not have anything available that fits your schedule or needs, please start responding to some more agencies so you can locate a volunteer assignment that best fits your needs.
How do I receive credit for my hours?
Please visit the link, "Submitting Service Hours," when you are ready to start tracking your service hours for your class. This is the last step to follow in order to receive VKSU credit for your SLFE requirement! To prevent any confusion regarding your SLFE requirement, please reference the important note listed at the bottom of this page!
What is the agency doesn't contact me?
If you respond to need and don’t receive a response back from the agency within two (2) to three (3) business days, please call the VSLS office at 470-578-6700 or send an email to email@example.com.
VSLS facilitates the volunteer process, so please don’t burden your professors or advisors if you’re experiencing any difficulties with the registration process!
VKSU's policy towards volunteer sites:
- Volunteerism and Service Learning Support (VSLS) is committed to providing a safe and productive environment for our students whether they are on campus or in the community. Therefore, volunteer opportunities posted to the Volunteer Kennesaw website must be open to all students regardless of their race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. Any opportunity that does not meet this requirement will be excluded from the site.
Special rules to consider for school-required service hours:
- Students volunteering for EDUC 2120 cannot volunteer at the same site where they completed their EDUC 2110 hours.
- Students cannot volunteer at their place of employment; even if working in another department.
- Students cannot obtain volunteer credit through any on-campus or off-campus internship programs or TA (Teaching Assistant) positions at Kennesaw State University.
- VSLS will not allow students to volunteer with any agencies and/or organizations where a family member is employed.
- Volunteer work done solely to promote a political point of view such as proselytizing or campaigning for a party candidate, political issue, or political policy does not count as volunteer service hours.
- VSLS will not allow individual Boy Scouts & Girl Scouts troops to post troop meetings on the VKSU website. VSLS will only approve large-scale events that are open to all scout members.
- VSLS does not allow students to volunteer with places of worship, for-profit organizations, businesses, or activities that are conducted from a non-approved volunteer site.
- VSLS does not allow students to volunteer for any activities and/or assignments that promote religion or any form of spiritual beliefs.
- VSLS does not allow students to volunteer for any activities and/or assignments that involve cold calling or soliciting for donations via in-person, by phone, or email.
- Time for travel to and from a service site does not earn volunteer credit.
- VSLS will only grant VSLS credit for volunteer service that is actually served during a scheduled event. For example, if an event is from 6pm to 10pm, you will receive four (4) hours of VSLS credit.
- You cannot earn volunteer credit for the following: donating tangible goods to non-profits, giving blood, or making monetary donations.
- Activities serving the interest of an individual or student organization, athletic team, Greek organization, or participation in most extracurricular activities (e.g., a theatrical production, holding office on a board, tabling for your student organization) do not count for volunteer credit.
- All new agencies must be approved by the VSLS office prior to you starting your service hours and must have an active VSLS agency account in order for you to track your service hours.
Approved volunteer sites for EDUC 2120:
A.G. Rhodes Health and Rehab
Aloha to Aging
Bluehair Technology Group
Cobb Senior Services
Daybreak Village Senior Living
Agape Hospice Care
Heritage of Brookstone
Life Choice Hospice / Compassus
Acworth Parks, Recreation and Community Resources Department - Horizon League
Beyond Limits Therapeutic Riding Program
Corrigan Care, Inc.
Emory Autism Center
Erin's Hope for Friends
Heaven's Gait Therapeutic Riding
Lekotek of Georgia
McKenna Farms Therapy Services
Parkwood Farms Therapy Center
Right in the Community, Inc.
The Adaptive Learning Center
Arts & Culture
Catholic Charities of Atlanta
Center for Pan Asian Community Services
Centro Hispano Marista
Children's Museum of Atlanta
Devereux Georgia Treatment Network
Fernbank Museum of Natural History
Friends of Refugees
Latin American Association
MUST Ministries - Marietta Program - Spanish Speakers
New American Pathways
The King Center
Unique Potential Community Services, Inc.
Woodruff Arts Center
Atlanta Community Food Bank - Kids in Need Program
Douglas County Cooperative Extension
Family Promise of Cobb County - Currently not accepting volunteers!
Gilmer County Food Pantry
Hands on Atlanta
MUST Ministries - Cherokee
Cherokee Learning Center
Goodwill of North Georgia
MUST Ministries - Marietta Programs
Child Care & Children/Family Programming
Atlanta Science Festival - Happening in March
Cherokee Family Violence Center
City of Kennesaw - Cannot volunteer for any recycling events!
Destiny's Daughter of Promise
Easter Seals of North Georgia
Nanny/Manny Brigade & Cobb County DFCS
Partnership Against Domestic Violence (PADV)
Safepath Children's Advocacy
YMCA - Cherokee County
YMCA - McCleskey-East Cobb
YMCA - Northeast
YMCA - Northwest
After-School Programs & Tutoring
Acworth Parks, Recreation and Community Resource Department
Agape Youth & Family Center
Big Brothers Big Sisters
Boys & Girls Club - Adairsville
Boys & Girls Club - Athens
Boys & Girls Club - Cartersville
Boys & Girls Club - Cedartown/Polk County
Boys & Girls Club - Gordon County
Boys & Girls Club - Hall County
Boys & Girls Club - North Georgia
Boys & Girls Club - South Rome
Boys & Girls Club - South Rome Teen Center
Boys & Girls Club of Metro Atlanta (Multiple Locations)
Children's Restoration Network
Communities in Schools (CIS) - Atlanta
Communities in Schools (CIS) - Marietta
Girls Inc. of Greater Atlanta
Hands on Atlanta Discovery Program
Kennesaw Dream Foundation / Kennesaw Teen Center
Marietta Mentoring For Leadership
Marietta Police Athletic League (PAL)
Math Is My Friend, Inc.
Path To Shine
Reach for the Stars Program
Soccer in the Streets
The Salvation Army - Marietta (After-School Program)
YELLS (Youth Empowerement through Learning, Leading, and Serving, Inc.)
Baker Elementary Afterschool Program
Graduate Marietta Student Success Center at Marietta High School
Hayes Elementary School
International Academy of Smyrna
Pitner Elementary School - ASP
Sawyer Road Elementary
Sprayberry High School - Clothing Closet & Media Center
The Atlanta Girls' School
Dream Makers Youth Foundation (Camp Dream ONLY)
Camp Dream Foundation
Do not click on any other links located on the VKSU website! This will redirect you to all the volunteer opportunities that are available with VKSU, and they are not applicable for your EDUC 2120 requirement!
If you volunteer with any agency not listed above, you will not receive VKSU credit for your SLFE requirement.